Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Moving On

Well, that didn't take long. The last prometrium (progesterone) I took was yesterday morning, and the first dose that I skipped was last night. I'm spotting already.

I think we've decided not to wait a month to try again. I know that's probably not the most financially responsible move, but I think it's what we're going to do.

Assuming I get "full flow" today, I can get a "Day 3" ultrasound tomorrow, Thursday or Friday. (There's a bit of leeway in the definition of "3.")

If my cycle runs like last month, we'd be looking at inseminating around August 22 or so.

I just got off the phone with the sperm bank. It seems that BowTie has one unit of ICI prepared (intracervical - not washed) sperm available. Yea! It will be sent out to us tomorrow.

The ICI is cheaper than IUI (washed) and our RE's office re-washes even the IUI so there's no sense in paying the extra money for it.

(Unless, as last cycle, that's all that's available.)

This was $470, including courier delivery to the RE's office that's farther from us, but closer to the sperm bank, so they don't have to FedEx it.

That's significantly less than what we paid last time:

IUI Prep Sperm: $480
FedEx Shipping : $150
Upgrade to 14-day tank: $40
FedEx Return shipping when not used in June: $45
FedEx Re-shipping for July: $150
(Then couriered back to the other office)
Total: $865

So, here we go again!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear such shitty news. I'm glad you've decided to try again straight away. Waiting sucks. It sucks even more when you're waiting without hope.

    If it makes you feel any better at all, the cost of your cycle in dollars is what ours costs us in pounds here in the UK (so just over double, about $1750).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the waiting stinks and I hope this month is better for you. Rooting for bow-tie and crossing my fingers for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vee - That's just the cost for the sperm. The doctor adds up to another $400 or so, per cycle - but could have been MUCH worse if my insurance hadn't covered as well as it does.

    LiPA - Thanks a bunch. We'll have to get together for a drink some time while I still can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. IUI Prep Sperm: $480
    FedEx Shipping : $150
    Upgrade to 14-day tank: $40
    FedEx Return shipping when not used in June: $45
    FedEx Re-shipping for July: $150
    (Then couriered back to the other office)
    Total: $865

    Pregnancy = priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just got back in town- sorry you aren't knocked up yet! Hope it works this time!

    $865??? That bottle of booze the hubs sprang for to get me in the 'motherly way was nothing compared to this!

    Sending out good vibes for you!

    Shrike- too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point, honey.

    Hee hee - Maybe when we get one that sticks, that can be our birth announcement :-)

    And then, in lieu of onesies maybe people will wrap up piles of cash in little pink or blue ribbons . . . .

    No, wait, in addition to onesies!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?