Friday, May 18, 2007

What a Week

Whew! This week has just been a bear.

As you know, Shrike usually works evenings (leaves around 2:45 pm, gets home around 1:30 am) but occassionally works a 9-ish to 5-ish schedule or, even more rarely, 6:00 am - 2:00 pm.

She's on the God-awful-early shift this week.

So, of course, this is the week that I worked until 7:00 or 8:00 every freaking evening but Friday.

"Normally" (in quotes, as I've only been there four weeks, and I think I've only actually worked this schedule one of them) I work 8:30 am - 5:00 pm on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.

The other two evenings, I am there during the instructional hours and close things up, which means that I'm working 10:30 am - 7:30 pm on Tuesdays and 11:30 am - 8:30 pm on Wednesdays.

This week, I went in at those times, but stayed until 7:00 pm on Monday and Thursday as well, to make up some of the hours that I'm missing for doctors appointments, and to observe some parent conferences that Director's been doing on this nights to work.

I am wiped out, Shrike is wiped out, and we've barely seen each other all week, because she's going to bed as I get home in the evenings, and is gone long before I'm up in the mornings.

We did get some time together last evening, when we went out for drinks with a few people, and stayed out way later than we should have. We did have a nice time, though, including a visit with NewFriend in the parking lot after, so it was worth losing a bit of sleep.

(Easy for me to say, I didn't get up at 4:30 am, like some people!)

We thought we'd get to come home and collapse this evening, but Shrike's grandparents just moved into their new house today, so we went over to see it, then all had dinner at her sister's house, which is just a couple of blocks from the grandparents.

That was very nice, and it was good to see everyone, and our damn-near-seven-year-old (when the hell did that happen?!?) niece sat in my lap for dinner, which was very sweet, but oh man, coming home and collapsing had sounded so nice.

Tomorrow, I have to work again, 8:30 am to around 1:30 or so.

(This is the "one Saturday a month" thing that I was trying not to think about when I decided to take the job.)

From there, I'll go straight to our niece's ballet recital, home for a short rest, and then over to TrigGuy's house for two hours of tutoring.

Shrike is working tomorrow evening, so I'm on my own from there.

If I've got anything left in me by then, I'll try to start on my two big projects for the weekend - printing and assembling the invitations for my parents 50th anniversary and getting the house in some sort of decent order for a meeting that I'm hosting here on Monday evening.

Oh, yeah, Monday:

  • 11:00 am - Appointment with Dr. B. (OB/Gyn)
  • 2:00 pm - Appointment with Dr. T. (our shrink)
  • 6:30 pm - Political meeting at our house
Then, Tuesday is a late late day, 11:30 - 8:00 becuase we have a staff meeting that evening, and starting Wednesday, Director is out for about a week, having knee surgery, and I'm kind of on my own.

I would assume that at least one of the EDs will probably be around most of the time while he's out, and there are other folks who are usually around who can answer questions, etc, but technically, I'll be kind of in charge.

Yikey schnikeys.

In the meantime, though, it's time for bed!

1 comment:

  1. Good Lord! I need a nap just from thinking about all of that!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?