Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh, Sugar, Sugar

I had my follow-up appointment with the diabetes education people today, for the dietician to look over my food journal and blood sugar measurements. 


My glucose levels have been great (actually a bit low by the time it's been two hours since my last meal, in fact) and she's mostly happy with what I've been eating, although she did suggest that I might try to work in a vegetable every now and then. 

We discussed the fact that it's been hard to test two hours after meals, because I generally don't wait that long before eating again!

She had me check w/Dr. B on whether I could test one hour after, and just use different target numbers, but she wants me to just test when I get up in the morning and right before bed and pick three more times a day, which will theoretically be 2-ish hours after "breakfast," "lunch," and "dinner," (which aren't really any different in size or content from my "snacks") and don't worry about the fact that I'm eating between. 

I'm writing down what I'm eating and when, and tracking my carbs (and protein) so if I get a funky glucose level, we can look back and see that, "Oh, well, I ate XYZ twenty minutes before I tested; no wonder!"

So, that's what I've been doing today, and my glucose levels have be great, and even a bit low, 
as little as an hour after eating. 

So, tell me again, why am I doing this? 

Actually, I have been eating a lot better (a lot lower carb - in particular, a lot less chocolate and the like) over the past week or so - you know, the way I'm supposed to eat all the time - so I suppose that even if there really is no problem with my blood sugar it's not hurting me to have that little meter ready to tattle on me if I misbehave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?