Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I've Been Holding Out on You


The short version: Beta HCG of 93 at 8 days post 5-day transfer.

Translation for the non-TTC-obsessed: We're pregnant!

And, because that's how I roll, here's the long version:

Despite all warnings and advice to the contrary, you know I started with the pee sticks on Saturday.

That morning - and afternoon - and evening - and the next morning - there were incredibly light second (test) lines, not showing up til almost the full 10 minutes were elapsed. So light, even both of us together couldn't be sure we weren't hallucinating it.

(Although I made Shrike pee on one to see a truly negative example - well, to show her one, I've seen plenty - and we couldn't conjure anything on that one.)

Sunday evening, we were able to see a not-quite-as-light line at about five minutes.

By that point, we'd also made a run to Target for a digital test. I dipped it in the pee, set it on the counter, and wandered back and forth between the bedroom and bathroom, waiting for a result.

It's supposed to take one to three minutes to show and answer, and while it's "thinking" a little hourglass icon blinks on the screen.

I was watching it blink, "Hourglass - Hourglass - Hourglass - Pregnant."

I yelled, "Holy Fuck!" (maybe we shouldn't put that one in the baby book) and Shrike lept from the bed into the bathroom to read it for herself.

At that point, I knew I couldn't wait until Friday for my beta.

I already had the (undated) lab orders, so I said "Screw it - what's the worst they can do, yell at me?" and popped over to the lab on my way to work yesterday morning, then called the fertility clinic to confess what I'd done, and tell them to watch for a fax with my results.

Of course, the call came in while I was in a meeting, and I saw the number on my cell phone, but had to wait until I was done to check the voice mail. Aaarrggghhh!

For those who follow such things, my Beta HCG was 93 which, to quote the nurse, "means you're definitely pregnant."

Nurse E and Dr. E called today, to congratulate us personally. Nurse E told me that they would have been looking for an HCG level of 100 on Friday, and Dr. E said that 93 is "An awesome number, as early as you are!"

Of course, more important than the number itself will be whether and how quickly it rises over the next few days.

I am scheduled for another test tomorrow and then another on Friday.

I'll have an ultrasound either late next week (5.5 weeks) or early the next week (6 weeks). At that point, we can hope to see a heartbeat (or two?!?).

Those dates are based on a faked "last period" date, 14 days before retrieval/fertilization. According to that accounting, I am four weeks pregnant today. Thiry-six weeks to go!

That means a due date of Nov 25 or so - Thanksgiving week!

Of course, as I said, it's still incredibly early, and we're trying to be very, very cautious about getting too excited but, as you can imagine, that's pretty hard to do.

I am more confident about it all after talking with my doctor and nurse today, not only because of what they said about how good my HCG level looks, but also about how excited they were.

I figure that, if anything, they would be overly cautious, and while they did agree when I said that we will feel much better when we see my HCG levels rise, and even better when we see a heartbeat, they certainly weren't holding anything back with their enthusiasm and their congratulations.

We will definitely keep everyone posted as things develop!

Thanks for all the support and good wishes along the way!

16 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! I've been lurking around here ever since reading about you and Shrike on a blog review site a while back.

    I'm very happy for the both of you. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed and also pray for a safe pregnancy, and a happy and healthy baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got goosebumps... this is such exciting news... I've been lurking for a long long time... I'm so glad to be reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo--hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Longtime lurker...

    First time CONGRATULATER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOO HOOOOOOOOO!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so stoked for you two. HUGE congratulations from both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I got my BFP today, too. Looks like we'll have similar due dates. Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Witty comments doesn't begin to set the stage for our feelings which are really way to profound to blog. I know it is way, way early, but pure joy nevertheless. Anonygrandma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wooohoooooo!!!!!!!! You KNOW I'm happy for you guys. The kids are also. We told them tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're all teary over here. What wonderful news!!!!
    - L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on you BFP! It's definitely an exciting time and big changes will happen and it will just be miraculous! Congratulations again on your new addition(s) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY!!! Here's hoping things continue to go well. It is time for all the lesbians to get pregnant and you are at the front of this train.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats!! I've been out of town and just caught up. So excited for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So...how old, exactly, does a baby have to BE before you can bring them miles into the air and across the country for a visit to their big cousin...oh yeah, and the rest of your family down here.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?