Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ten on Tuesday #19

At risk of lapsing onto my own personal episode of I Love The 70s/80s . . .

Ten Things That Were Better "Way Back When"

  1. Music. Ok, so maybe 80s Pop wasn't good music but, dammit, it was my music.
  2. My summer camp. When it was owned/run by the founding organization, and was girls-only.
  3. TV. Remember scripts?
  4. Video games. If I wanted to bowl or hit a baseball or - what the fuck? - play guitar, I would do it in real life. Give me some good ol' fashioned Ms. Pacman or Centipede any day.
  5. Saturday Night Live. I enjoy the retrospectives, except that they make me sad, because all the funnies cast members are dead now.
  6. Saturday Morning Cartoons. Two words: Scooby-fucking-Doo. (Oops, that's three words.)
  7. Kid's toys. Tinker Toys, Fisher Price People, Hippity-Hop. No licensed characters, no batteries required, and no fucking lead.
  8. Family car trips. No personal DVD players, no five-point-harnesses, no GPS. Just bouncing around in the back-back, listening to Anonydaddy's Tom T. Hall and Kris Kristofferson 8-tracks, playing "the initial game" and arguing with BabyBro about who's straying onto who's "side." (Yes, it is a wonder that we survived!)
  9. Star Wars. Ok, I confess, I've never actually seen the "prequel" trilogy, but I don't have to see them to know that they can't possibly compare to the original three movies.
  10. Summer Vacation. You know, because there was a vacation.

Learn More About Ten on Tuesday

1 comment:

  1. Family car trips with DVD's, videos, etc, miss the whole point of family trips. They are for family interaction. Best place in the world for talking with kids is in the car where they cannot get away. Games, sing alongs, etc sound corny to outsiders and even to the kids at the time, but build tremendous togetherness. They are some on my most precious memories. And WE had better music. Like the ones you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?