Thursday, July 19, 2007

That's Wierd Weird

Overheard at our house, moments ago:

Shrike, while reading this post : "Honey, I love you, but . . . "

Me: "But nobody cares about my twinges?"

Shrike: "I love you, but . . . "

Me: "I know. Nobody cares."

Shrike: "No, honey, you see, you have a problem with the word
"weird."
Evidently I've been spelling it incorrectly my entire life.

Or at least, my entire blog.

(Have I mentioned that this whole "reading shit and noticing where the writer fucked up" is what she does for a living?)

It seems that "weird" is the exception to the "I before E, except after C" rule.

(Unless it turns out that it's correctly pronounced "wAYred" so that it's actually "sounding as A, as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh.'")

But if it were, she probably wouldn't have laughed at me so much when I tried to say it that way.

Go on. Try it. You'll see what I mean.

I asked her why she hadn't told me sooner, and she said "I didn't want to be critical, but I've reached my threshold."

That's not being "critical" - that's stopping me from looking like a dumbass to all the interwebs!

So, is there any chance Blogger will implement a blog-wide find and replace function anytime soon?

Edited to Add:
There's no find and replace, but there is a "search blog" function.

The verdict?

One. Out of nineteen.

Eight-fucking-teen posts with the word "weird" spelled incorrectly.

Two posts with it spelled correctly. But, one of those two also has it spelling incorrectly.

So, I've used the word in nineteen posts. In only one was it spelled correctly all the way through.

(Not counting this one in either category, of course.)

Did I mention that I have a degree in English?

Yeah, I think it best that I not.

4 comments:

  1. yup, 18 is the threshold. But I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. How weird, or is it wierd... no weird... oh, never mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misspell weird, receive and definitely all the time! I am a slave to my spell check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, what is this checking the spelling of which you speak?

    ReplyDelete

What say you?