Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More on the Job Front

I'm sorry I didn't post more details about the new job yesterday, but as soon as I got home we went out for a celebratory dinner, and the we xhit the hay pretty much as soon as we got back.

As you might have surmised from my mobile post, the other girl turned down the director position at the center that's 45 minutes from home, so that's where I'll be going.

I must admit have kind of mixed feelings about it turning out to be that one, but I've already talked about all the pros and cons of both.

Mostly, the mix is between being excited and, truth be told, a little impressed with myself, for having this opportunity, especially after being there only three months, tempered with some terror and apprehension about the huge increase in responsibility.

Since it's time for me to be evaluated anyway, what ED2 suggested is that, instead of her and Director just filling out an evaluation form and telling me how I'm doing, she'd like me to complete one on myself, as well .

The three of us will sit down together on Friday and go over it all, identifying the things that I've got down, the things I'm still not quite comfortable with and the things that I've not yet been trained on.

Then we'll look at the Director job description and identify the parts of it that I've not yet learned, and we'll share all that with the Regional Director who'll be overseeing me and doing my training at the new center.

(She'll be there with me three days a week for a while, then will drop back to two days, which is what she does now.)

It's funny, when Director told me that I was going to be formally evaluated, I got all nervous. My first reaction was, "Oh no, I hope they think I'm doing a good job."

Well, you big dumb-ass, they gave you a fucking promotion and your own center to run after three months on the job. How do you think they think you're doing?

I realized that, given that it's pretty clear that they are, on the whole, happy with my work, it would behoove me to be as honest as possible in this self-evaluation, and to be as up-front as I can about the areas in which I'm less sure of myself or feel like I need further training.

That's something I've made an effort to do, from the beginning at this job. Rather than being afraid to admit that I'm not sure about something, I've forced myself to ask questions and look for clarification on things.

Also, rather than just saying, "I don't know how to do that yet, so I'll leave it for Director," I've made an effort to learn how so that I can do it.

So, I went over the evaluation form today. I couldn't bring myself to rate myself on the 1 -5 "fails to meet expectations" through "exceeds expectations" scale, so I created a whole new one:

√ - I feel comfortable with this
? - I feel like I need more training or more practice on this
x - I've not yet been trained on this
I hope they're ok with that. I like to think of it as being creative and showing initiative.

They seem to like that about me.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Obviously you are doing a good job. Daddy and I are proud of you. Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I wonder who anonymous could be...

    I agree that obviously they are happy with you or they wouldn't be promoting you. Duh!

    I like that three point scale you figured out for the evaluation. It seems more appropriate for a self evaluation than the other. You can tell them that I have approved it, I am sure that they will be VERY impressed by that. :D

    (Two more days, two more days, two more days... :D :D :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say your family is funny. But then it is obvious you had to get that fro somewhere.
    I am proud of you too! You are most freaking awesome and I kinda like you too. Hope that deosn't freak you out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ma. . . uh, "Anonymous".

    And, you too, LK and Shrike :-)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?