Sunday, May 27, 2007

Week in Review: Part the First, In Which Whozat Gushes About Her Doctor

Since starting my new job, I have somehow managed to continue posting daily, but I will admit that my writing has been a lot more perfunctory and a lot less scintillating than before.

Shut up. It was too scintillating.

So, I've decided that, in addition to my too-brief daily posts, I will try to do a more detailed wrap-up over the weekend, when I've got a bit more time on my hands.

This week started, as you know, with our final pre-conception appointment with my OB/Gyn, Dr. B.

I've already written about how that went, but I want to take a moment to talk about how wonderful Dr. B. is.

We first met her several years ago, in the emergency room. I was having an issue that I don't really care to discuss in detail, except to say that it was quite minor, in the grand scheme, yet quite painful, and rather on the icky side.

It certainly was not an "emergency" except that it was early on a Saturday morning when I decided that I could not stand the pain until Monday, when I could get to my own Gyn, so the ER was our only choice.

Dr. B. was called in from her nice, warm, bed (I assume) to resolve my issue. I apologized profusely for that. I'm sure she's used to being called to the hospital at all hours, but I would guess that there's usually some baby-catching involved.

At any rate, she took care of the problem, and we were so impressed with her bed-side manner that we decided, then and there, that if either of us ever had insurance that covered her, we'd switch immediately. And we did.

Two things really impressed me about her that day. One was that, after checking things out "down under" and determining what needed to be done, she covered me back up, and rolled her little stool around to the side of the bed, so she could talk to me, not my crotch.

I also appreciated that she talked to both me and Shrike about what she was going to be doing to me. When I introduced Shrike as my partner, she immediately assumed that she was to be part of any decision-making that would be going on.

I must confess that, although I technically switched to her shortly after that, I had not actually been in to see her until we went for our first consultation a few months ago.

When I introduced myself, she said that she remembered having seen me in the ER. I'm assuming that she was reminded of that when she reviewed my chart, but she sure sounded like she actually had some memory of it.

I also love that she so thoroughly explains everything that she's going to be doing, in unbelievable detail.

She always warns me that, "Now, you're going to feel my hand," and during the HSG, she even said, "You'll feel some warmth; it's this light." Wow.

Of course, we were thrilled with the news that I seem to be in working order, and that we'll be able to inseminate in June!

That afternoon, we had an appointment with Dr. T., our shrink. This was the first time I'd seen her since I started the job, and since she told us that she's pregnant. (She's definitely showing now!)

We caught her up on everything that's happened over the last month, and had a good session, all in all.

We're scheduled to go back in late June, on a day that I'll be going in to work at 11:30. If everthing stays on schedule, we should have known for a couple of days whether our June insemination worked.

Either way, we could probably use a shrink about then.

1 comment:

  1. Does Dr. B take Tricare? I hate going to the cha cha doctor- especially when they talk to my crotch- one day I am going to say 'it doesn't talk back!'

    Glad you are so happy with your doctor!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?