Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #7


I'm plugging away through my original list of lists, and the timing of this week's topic is perfect!

For those not familiar with AudioToGo, is it essentially NetFlix with audiobooks. You make a wishlist, they send you a book on CD or cassette, you listen, mail it back, get another.

I only listen to books in the car, so I think I've only gotten through, maybe, two or three during my five months of unemployment, but the hour-long commute to my new job (starting Monday!) should give me a chance to blow through them pretty quickly.

Shrike and I have both put books on the list, and I considered having another little guessing game, like I did with the dead-tree editions last week, but since I only had one real player for that, I'll just go ahead and tell you which of us is planning to listen to which. Because you are just dying to know that.

My one gripe about AudioToGo is that their website provides no descriptions of the books, so I usually browse with AudioToGo in one window and Amazon in another. I'm linking to Amazon below, so you can actually learn something about the books.


13 Books on my AudioToGo Wishlist

  1. Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life - Steven Johnson (Shrike)

  2. Hawkes Harbor - S. E. Hinton (Shrike)

  3. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - Michael Pollan (Whozat)

  4. Possible Side Effects - Augusten Burroughs (Both)

  5. Wigfield - Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinell, Stephen Colbert (Both)

  6. Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris (Whozat)

  7. Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel (Whozat - Shrike has already read it)

  8. The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream - Barack Obama (Whozat)

  9. I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman - Nora Ephron (Both)

  10. Rise and Shine - Anna Quindlen (Shrike)

  11. DNA: The Secret of Life - James D. Watson and Andrew Berry (Whozat)

  12. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach (Whozat)

  13. The Story of My Life - Helen Keller (Whozat)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Thursday Thirteen Blog Roll

7 comments:

  1. With the exception of number 13- you are gonna fall asleep at the wheel! Ok- I would! I have been going through about 2 a week- James Patterson is my favorite! I love a good mystery!

    My TT is up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora Ephron and her sister rock!

    Great list


    Amys Random THoughts is having a blogging Scavenger Hunt starting May 1st. Details were announced today. Don't you want to participate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends are always raving about audiobooks and I actually downloaded my first audiobook into my iPod earlier this week. I love Janet Evanovich so I thought I would try her Stephanie Plum #12 book.

    You know, I just can't get into this audiobook thing. The characters don't sound like I imagined them at all! I am interested in the Barack Obama book, though. Maybe something like that would work better for me in an audiobook!!

    Thanks for the list!!! Enjoyed it!! Happy TT-
    Jessica The Rock Chick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni - I guess you're not as much of a nerd as I am!

    Amy - Will have to check out the scavenger hunt.

    Rock Chick - Good point, especially if it's something you've read, or read part of a series.

    I'm sure that would bother you less with Obama's book, since he will sound like you think he does. I especially enjoy autobiographies or other first-person narratives, read by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good TT13! Can I ask, why audio?
    My TT13 is up at http://anyapples.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frigga -
    Shrike and I both have fairly significant commutes to work, and love to listen to audiobooks as we're driving.

    I now "read" almost exclusively on audio, because I'm a "captive audience" during my drive, and it doesn't take up time that I could be using for something else.

    Just about the only time, these days, that I devote to reading actual paper books is when I'm having a soak in the tub.

    (Just have to be careful not to splash!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Audio is great to listen to in the car on the way to work. We both have at least 45 minute commutes.

    Much as I love music, especially the ones I listen to because, hey, I chose them, an audiobook is better. More exciting and I don't get sick of it.

    Hell, if I did I would quit listening!

    I am amazed how one person can do so many voices and then keep straight which voice belongs to whom.

    I love audio except for the fact that I do not tend to remember stuff as well when I read it in this form.

    So the pregnancy books on how crazy my wife is going to be will be read the old-fashioned way.

    God, I am scared!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?