Monday, March 26, 2007

Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

We've let some bananas get away from us over the past few days, so I went a-googlin' for a banana bread recipe.

I ended up doing just a bit of combining, to come up with one recipe that only called for ingredients that we have on hand, but I didn't go too far out on a limb.

The recipe was for a loaf, but I decided to do muffins. This probably makes a dozen full-sized muffins, but I stretched it to 18, because I wanted them to be smaller.

This results in them being kind of cone-headed, rather than having that classic muffin-top thing going on.

I just pulled them out of the oven and havn't tried them yet, but if the batter that I tasted is any indication, they are going to be really good.

Banana Peanut Butter Muffins
Makes 1 dozen, or one loaf of bread.

4 extra-ripe medium bananas, peeled
(Ours hadn't quite gone 'round the bend yet, but were headed that way.)

1/3 c. chunky-style peanut butter
(I used smooth, because that's what we had, but chunky would probably be even better. Or add nuts. I had just finished off a can of honey-roasted peanuts, but if I'd had any left, I would have crunched some up and thrown them in.)

1/4 c. butter, softened

2 eggs
(As usual, I used the fake stuff.)

2 c. flour

1/2 c. sugar
(I used Splenda / brown sugar, because we don't have any of the regular stuff. Some of the recipes I looked at called for brown.)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt
(Oops. I forgot to put this in. I hope it's ok.)

Cinnamon, Allspice
(I added these on my own - a good shake of cinnamon, maybe 1/2 tsp and less allspice, maybe 1/4 tsp?)
  1. Slice bananas into blender or bowl. Puree or blend until smooth (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups).
  2. Beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. Beat in eggs, then bananas until blended.
  3. Combine dry ingredients; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended.
  4. Pour into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan or 12-count muffin tin.
  5. I sprinkled brown sugar on top before baking. I used the wierd "granulated, pourable" stuff (that I thought was a sugar substitute the other day) because I figured it would sprinkle better, but I think I'd use the regular next time, because it would probably melt and crstalize better.
  6. Bake in 350 degree oven until wooden pick inserted comes out clean. (About 50 minutes for a loaf or 20 - 35 minutes for muffins.
  7. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn onto wire rack to complete cooling.

2 comments:

  1. Spooky- I made banana nut bread Sunday! Will have to try the muffins next time!

    You should start a 'recipe blog'- then they will all be in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I might do that. For now, you can go to the posted labeled "Whozat In The Kitchen?" but that's kind of hard to find.

    May I'll put a link directly to that, higher up on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?