Monday, March 26, 2007

Bad News - But Another Lead?

I heard back from OfficeMgr at OldJob today:

I wanted to get back to you and let you know our decision regarding your return to OldJob on a full-time basis. We made an offer to one of the people we interviewed and they accepted (will be starting on April 10th).
Shit.

Now what?

Actually, after I heard from her, I called the TutoringCenter, to let them know that I'm available to interview, and available for as many hours as they can give me for a while. Of course, if I were to get something full-time, I can't promise that my schedule would allow me to continue.

She wasn't real comfortable with that, but told me since we last spoke, she found out that there's a full-time opening at another location, for a Director of Education. Would I like to apply for that?

Yes - absolutely!

The biggest drawback to that job would be that the salary is way, way, way less that was I've been making - at most, it would only be a couple of bucks more per week than what I'm getting on unemployment.

On the other hand, it's 35 - 45 minutes away (Mapquest says 45, but she lives nearish us, and she said it takes her more like 35 - 40. It's pretty much all Interstate, and I would pass by Shrike's job on the way there.

The schedule would be 8:30 am - 5:30 pm three days per week, and 10:30 am - 7:30 pm th other two days. I and the Director would switch off the late nights, so one of us would always be there in the evenings when the kids are there. No late Fridays.

The position would involve working with the teachers and students, curriculum, etc. From what I remember, the curriculum is a pretty set program of lessons to cover whatever weaknesses the kid has, based on periodic testing.

The salary would be a big "minus" in comparison to StateJob (or, if StateJob offered me the minimum, maybe it wouldn't be so different), but the schedule would be better.

Especially if I could get my two late days on Wednesday and Thursday, that would be great, since Shrike's off Sunday and Monday, so I wouldn't have to wait up those nights anyway. Then, I could afford to wait up on Tuesday and Wednesday, and only Thursday night / Friday morning would be a pain in the ass.

Also, I'm thinking that I could try to schedule as many doctor's appointments at possible for very early on my late days and either not miss at all, or just get in a few minutes late.

And, on the early days, I'd be passing through the town where Shrike works right about the time she's on dinner break, so maybe I could stop and eat with her.

The woman is going to be that location on Thursday and will give them my resume, and should give me a call back on Friday.

In the meantime, if StateJob makes me an offer, I think I will tell them that I have some other possibilities, and want to make sure that I'm making an educated decision, and ask if there's any room for flexibility in the schedule, how much travel is involved, etc.

I figure it's not like they're going to withdraw the offer because I ask those questions. The worst they can do is say "no," in which case, I'm almost definitely going to turn it down. If those things are possible, I need to know about it rather than just assuming they're not.

I've also sent an email to pretty much everyone I know in the area, asking if they know of any possible openings for me. I hear that the best jobs aren't advertised and you just have to know some one, so I figure it can't hurt to ask.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, I know that is a big let down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops.. not done yet...

    I think you should weigh the pro's & cons of the state job again- being employed by the government can be a huge plus. Especially the medical and chance for advancement. Plus it could lead to other positions in the government that maybe you hadn't thought about as a possibility before.

    I know you will find something soon- and I am sure it will be a great opportunity!

    Send out good mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day !.
    You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
    There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

    I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
    I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://valutucip.freecities.com/uguvaf.html
    and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello !.
    might , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
    There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you need
    The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

    I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
    I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
    It`s easy to start , just click this link http://pinidywo.greatnow.com/kolaci.html
    and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day, sun shines!
    There have been times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
    I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
    Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
    It gets down to select a proper companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

    You can ask, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete

What say you?