Tuesday, March 27, 2007

More Ramblings About the Job Situation

In her comments about my previous post, Toni said:

I think you should weigh the pros & cons of the state job again - being employed by the government can be a huge plus.
It's funny you should say that about the pros/cons.

Shrike and I literally made a list of them tonight, for StateJob and TutoringCenter.

The primary pro for StateJob was that it would be more money. Of course, how much remains to be seen.

They are considering me for two different positions. The difference between the bottom of the range for the lower position and the top of the range for the higher position is $11K!

Even the lowest possible salary there would probably be about $3K higher than what I'd make at TutoringCenter, including bonuses, which aren't guaranteed.

(Of course, the commute and parking could eat up $2000 or more of that.)

Although this isn't what I was thinking before, now I'm pretty sure that, of the two StateJob options, I'd probably prefer the lower one.

I don't think it involves travel and doesn't involve some of the stuff that I just don't feel as comfortable with.

If they offer me either, I want to find out the following, before I make a decision:
  1. Salary (duh!)
  2. Schedule - any room for flexibility?
  3. Any way to telecommute on occassion (if I have a doctors appointment in the big middle of the day, for instance)?
  4. Parking costs (maybe there's a free employee lot)?
  5. Travel - how often and for how long?
If I were to get all the "right" answers to those questions, and the money were enough, I might still consider taking it.

With all the "wrong" answers, I just don't know that it would be worth any amount of money, especially because it would mean not having any awake-time with Shrike through-out the week.

I know the difference it makes in our relationship whether we have time together or not, and the idea of having so little really scares me.

2 comments:

  1. Ok- you just answered alot of my questions...

    I think they would pay/reimburse for parking- $11k- big, big deal! commute time is only a 15 min difference- toss it out- more time for books on cd, so that's a PRO (for me).

    As for time with your wife, guess I wasn't understand the 'dynamics' (for lack of a better word) of that issue. Kenny and I don't really see each other very much during the week. The kids and I are on a 'normal' schedule, and he is working 11pm to 9am. He sleeps until about 5 or 6, then we have dinner and a little bit of time together in the evening. Still, that is more than what y'all would have. Because basically y'all would have none. Get it now. I guess we have just adapted to this, and are happy when we are all home, in the same country. (He is gone every year for about 5 months) When Kenny worked 2pm to 12am- I would go to bed, but get up when he came home for a few hours. Made me a raging bitch the next day though. Anyway, I better understand that issue now, family has to come first.

    Have you thought of the lottery??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked, and it looks like I would probably get a parking pass for StateJob, so that would make a big difference there.

    The biggest issues with that job are the part about not being able to wait up for Shrike to get home, thus not having any time together from Monday night til Friday night, the (assumed - I need to ask) lack of flexibility of the schedule, thus difficulty with doctor's appointments, and the fact that there are parts of the job that are things I'm not real comfortable with and don't feel are strengths for me. Oh, and the travel - I need to find out more about that, too.

    I wish I could trust that whatever is supposed to happen will, so I'd know that if they offer it to me, it's what I ought to do.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?