Friday, August 31, 2012

Wet

This is the 21st Century. We have put men on the moon and robots on Mars.

Why can we not make a bathroom floor that can survive getting wet? That won't rot from repeated / continual moisture and won't allow water to pour through the ceiling below.

It's a bathroom. Bath. Room.

A room whose entire reason for existence is to house the water-based activities of the home. Is it really such an unforeseeable situation that some (or occasionally, a great deal) of that water might end up on the floor?

Especially if you have an almost-four year old in the house?

I suppose it was my fault, because I've been lulled into complacency by Peeper's habit of always letting me know when the water is "up to the face" in the tub (you know what I mean) and time for me to turn it off. And because I somehow let time get away from me, and didn't think to check on the depth of the water. (I'm right across the hall and I can hear her narrating her play, so I know she's fine. If she's quite for more than a few seconds I call to her.)

It's a teeny bit her fault, because she didn't tell me when it was up to the face, OR when it was pouring over the side, or when it was a fucking inch deep in the floor. Then she came in and said, "Mama, look!"

And as I threw every towel we own on the floor, she was stomping around in it, saying "No! I like splashing in puddles!"

And then had the nerve to say, "I need a towel to dry off!"

Well, honey, look around. There are no more towels!



(I found a towel in a basket that had just come out of the dryer. See, if those clothes had been put away, I would've thrown it in the floor with the rest of them. Good job, with the never putting away the clean clothes strategy!)

But mostly my fault because I am 44 years old, and she is not-yet-four. Guess who was supposed to be the responsible one in this situation.

Dammit, I hate when that happens.

Looking on the bright side, at least it wasn't poop water this time. And maybe if flushed (so to speak) any residual poop from last time out of the basement ceiling as it flowed through. Yeah, that's a comforting thought.

All of which is to say that I got a little distracted this evening, so this is the only photo I got.


(I do realize that this is no excuse for not getting photos earlier in the day, but just go with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?