Saturday, August 27, 2011

Safe and Sound

I know that I'm sort of coy on here about our exact location, but I think I've made our general area pretty obvious, so I thought I'd flatter myself by thinking that someone out there might be worried about us, in regards to Hurricane Irene.

Although we do live in a mid-Atlantic state, we're not close to the actual Atlantic at all, and our local forecast is only calling for "scattered thunderstorms" and maximum winds of 25 - 35 mph, so we're fine here.

It has been quite overcast and humid all day, with that feeling that something is coming, but right now, it's just a little breezy and raining a tiny bit. It actually may have stopped raining, but I'm sure that will be off and on as the outer bands pass over us.

Oh, and if you're wondering about the earthquake a few days ago, many people in our town did feel it. One friend even reports watching the walls of her house undulate.

Shrike says that she heard the windows rattling and felt her chair move "like a wave" but thought it was the nearby Army depot blowing things up, as they are wont to do.

Me? I was sitting about six feet from her, and felt nothing. I may have heard the windows and had the same thought and it didn't really even register, but I was sitting in my rocky computer chair, with Peeper wiggling around in my lap, so I'm sure I wrote off any movement as her.

So, to summarize:

Earthquake - we're fine.

Hurricane - we're fine.

I am a little concerned about these two recent sightings, though:


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?