Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Daily Peep: Tummy Time

In an attempt to make my day more than a blur of boobs and poopie-pants, I decided this evening that maybe I should do something with the kid, besides just tending to her input/output needs.

To that end - Tummy Time!

I don't think she's been on her tummy since the doctor at the Children's Hospital was checking her out (over a month ago) and said, "Now, let's see what you can do on your tummy," and I had to confess that she'd never been on her tummy before, mostly because we never put her down.

She did raise her head for the doctor, so she passed the test, but we made a mental note that we should probably do some tummy time.

Yeah, now we're getting around to it.

Any-hoo . . . .

She seemed to like it okay, until she got frustrated with it.

She did some pretty good push-ups, and turned her head from side to side. (And spent more time than made me comfortable with it planted nose and mouth down on the blankie.)

Oh yeah, and she rolled over.

Yep. You read that right.

Six weeks, two days old. (Two weeks, one day, adjusted age.)

Rolled from her tummy to her back.

I don't know which one of us was more surprised. I'm sure she didn't mean to do it, and I probably scared the hell out of her when I said, "Oh my GOD!" and then scooped her up to run to the phone to call Shrike and tell her.

I'm quite sure it was a fluke, and I'm not exactly holding my breath for her to repeat the trick anytime in the next few months (Our "Week by Week" baby book puts it at about 15 weeks, and says, "She might not be able to go all the way over from her tummy to back yet.") but she was on her tummy, she wiggled and squirmed and twisted and pushed off the floor with her feet and ended up on her back.

It sure looked like rolling over to me, and I'm giving her credit for it.

No photos of the push-ups or the roll, but here are some generic hanging-out-on-her-tummy shots.


1 comment:

  1. Yay Peeper!

    Neither of my kids got much tummy time because we were always holding them too. It didn't seem to affect their development in terms of meeting milestones.

    My son was an early roller too and later an early walker. I bet you in four months you'll be posting pictures of Peeper pulling herself to a stand. :)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?