Friday, September 26, 2008

More Work Plans

A couple of weeks ago, the powers that be at work officially decided to hire two of our current teachers (one of whom is an Associate Director of Education, the other is a regular teacher) to share the Center Director position when I leave. 


I like to say that "They are replacing me with two people," but really, it will be a job-sharing arrangement, and they'll each be working about 25 hours a week. 

Their training should start in a couple of weeks, and by the beginning of November, I'll probably cut back on my hours (to about 20/week), and they'll be up to their full schedule. 

Technically, I'm cutting back to about 32 hours/week, starting next week, because I'm taking off one day each week (except maybe one week?) for doctors appointments. 

Depending on when/whether one of my many doctors thinks that it would be medically prudent to cut back my schedule, and writes me a note to that effect, I think my short-term disability benefits would kick in, which would be a big help. 

In other work-related news, I had a phone interview with Learning Center Online yesterday, for a work-from-home teaching position, and pending them actually receiving the twenty-seven page new hire packet that I faxed today, and assuming that my background check (including FBI fingerprinting) doesn't turn up that man that I killed in Reno, just to watch him die, I'm hired. 

The only downside is that the "tell us when you are available" schedule that they sent has all the morning hours blacked out. That, of course, is when Shrike would be home to be in charge of Peeper, so she's not crying in the background. 

(No crying, barking, TV, etc in the background is a requirement.)

So, we're not quite sure how we're going to manage to get me 20 - 25 hours of quiet each week while Shrike is at work, but I guess we'll figure something out. 

I didn't actually fill out that page; I put a note saying that I really need to get an idea what Peeper's schedule is like, first. 

(That will also be a factor.)

Other than that, though, it looks like it will be a pretty good deal. It doesn't pay great ($10/hour) but there's no commuting and no wardrobe and, the best part (other than doing it at home in my jammies) is that - get this - there's insurance!

It's not great coverage, but it seems like it will be sufficient, if all I'm needing is routine maintenance. 

(Which is all I'm planning on needing, once I'm done with this crazy baby-making stuff.)

And, even the better of the two options, plus dental/vision, would only be about $110/month - as opposed to around $350/month for either COBRA or the Blue Cross /Blue Shield that I would qualify for when the COBRA ran out. 

So, that's a big whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?