Friday, August 15, 2008

Plumb Crazy

We have a few plumbing here issues at our house.

Both toilets run, the sink in "my" bathroom (the one off the bedroom) drips runs continually continuously all the damn time, and there's no cold water going to the washing machine.

(That last one is fine for now, but we will really need some hot water once we're putting things in there that are Peeper-poopy.)

Shrike's been more and more bothered by these things (along with some other fucked up stuff around the house) lately, and today she evidently decided to take matters into her own hands.

Let's see how that went, shall we?

To: Whozat
From: Shrike
Sent: Fri 8/15/08 1:32 PM

Subject: i fucked up really big!!!‏

You no longer have a sink in your bathroom and the water is shut off. The good news is I found the water shutoff. We can go at dinner and I can get you a new faucet. I really think I can handle installing that. After all, I uninstalled this one. I am sorry. I really should have quit when I was behind.

I love you


To: Whozat
From: Shrike
Sent: Fri 8/15/08 2:14 PM

Subject: stand down‏

Your bathroom is still a mess and so is your faucet. But now it is a little closer to when I started. I am going to turn the water off before I leave, just in case. It is really easy (with the thing I bought at Lowe's) to turn it on. You want to move it counterclockwise to turn it on and clockwise to turn it off. I can mess with it more later, but I do think I screwed up the faucet. At the very least, I want to install shutoff valves under the sink like in the kitchen.

Love you

There is no shut-off valve for just the sink, so she'd turned off all the water in the house to work on it. When she turned it back on, it started spraying (a lot) under the sink.

Over dinner, she told me about her "panicked" trip to the hardware store in search of "something to cap it off with" so that she could turn the water back on and take a shower to go to work.

She did manage to get it settled down enough to turn on the water and shower, but turned it off before leaving, just to be safe.

I turned it back on without incident (I made sure she gave me instructions for that, because "Do you have any idea how many times I'm going to pee before you get home from work?!") but we've still got a ways to go before that bathroom is fully functional again.

Later, she emailed to ask "How much trouble am I in?"

I told her that she will definitely have to be punished, and that it will involve public humiliation.

To that end:

This is what I found when I got home.


Note that, even after all that, it's still fucking running!

Actually, I really do appreciate her attempt to fix it (unlike me - who just bitches about it) but, as she pointed out this evening, perhaps it would have been best to save it for a weekend project, rather than trying to tackle it when she had to go to work in a couple of hours.

Oh well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?