Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Peeper Report

I saw MidwifeK this morning and, as expected, there's nothing too much to report.

My weight is okay (up a total of about 14 lbs), my blood pressure is 120/70 (sweet!) and I guess I gave all the right answers to her questions.

She measured my belly for the first time, and said it was "right on target" whatever that means, we listened to Peeper's heart with the Doppler, and she said it sounded great.

She gave me lab orders for the gestational diabetes test, which I'll do in a couple of weeks (between 26 - 28). I tried to talk her out of the glucose tolerance, because it's really not recommended for post-gastric bypass patients, because we're not so much supposed to have big doses of sugar, but Dr. B wanted me to do it.

Okay, honestly, it's probably no more sugar than some things I eat, so I suppose I'll live.

Yes, sometimes eating those things makes me feel a little yucky, but at least they taste good, and it's worth it.

I'm not so sure about the glucola.

We also scheduled the rest of my appointments, through my due date!

I'll go back in 4 weeks (at 28 weeks), then I'm there every two weeks, until 34 weeks, at which point they'll want to see me weekly.

I'm not sure when the perinatologist is going to have me start coming in more frequently, but I'm guessing it will be about the same time.

(Not sure when I'll have time to go to work!)

So, all seems to be well with me and, as far as she can tell, with Peeper.

We'll get the complete scoop on her and her little heart next Wednesday, when we do the echocardiogram and another growth scan.

3 comments:

  1. My experience with Glucola was that it was way, way more sugar than usual and undiluted with other foodstuffs such as milk, protein,fats, etc. It gave me serious hypoglycemia and that was before it became an abnormal test. Talk to the doctor herself, why don't you. If you do it, be prepared with something to eat IMMEDIATELY and don't plan on driving until you recover. Maybe it won't bother you so much, but that response is normal. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard other people (w/no abnormal blood sugar issues) say it messed them up, as well.

    I was thinking that I probably ought to have Kris drive me, and let work know that I might need some time before I'm ready to head in.

    It's not generally recommended for gastric bypass folks, but neither is the amount of sugar that I can typically eat with no problems.

    On the other hand, I can also feel icky after having a "normal" amount of sugar, too.

    Either hypoglycemic a little while later, or "thumpy" (heart feeling like it's beating too hard) shortly after.

    I've described that to my docs, and they said it probably is a mild version of "dumping" but didn't seem too overly concerned about it.

    Maybe they figured I'd have the sense to not do it, if it's unpleasant?

    (oh.)

    I will definitely be careful with the test.

    One thought - if a person is susceptible to dumping, so that the test would be a big problem for them, they would already be avoiding any significant amounts of sugar anyway, which is pretty much what they would tell them to do if they did have gestational diabetes, so it makes sense that they could get away with skipping the test.

    If you never do get a big load of sugar, I guess it's not as important to know what happens when you get a big load of sugar, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and my pee looked good, too. No sugar or protein to speak of.

    Not bad, considering that some protein is "normal for me" since the kidney issues I had several years ago.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?