Monday, September 10, 2007

Ruh Roh

There's an odd little tickle in my throat.

I've sneezed several times today.

I was feeling a little fevery earlier.

Oh, pleeeaaaase nooooo!!!

I hate, hate, hate being sick.

I'm sure it's just a cold, but you see, I am a freak.

(No, not because of that. Or that. Or, ok, just shut up and let me explain.)

You see, I am crazy allergic to all antihistamines, decongestants and cough suppressants.

When I say "crazy" I'm not kidding. They totally flip me out.

Well, I don't really know exactly what they do, because I've only taken any of them once since I was tiny, but when I was tiny, they totally flipped me out.

(I took a few half-doses of benadryl for hives once as a teenager, but very carefully. After a total of about two or three doses, over a couple of days, I was a bit loopy.)

I was too young (and, of course, totally flipped out) when I had the serious reactions to remember them (once to an adult Sudafed that I accidentally got hold of, I think, and once to cough syrup?), so Anonymama and LadyKay might have to fill in some details (check the comments for that) but I know it wasn't pretty.

Speaking of LadyKay, she does the same thing. Not only did she have some cough syrup experiences as a wee tot, but she also had a reaction to something similar, as a teenager.

She was old enough then to identify the hallucinations, and to recognize that they were the same thing she'd experienced before.

So, yeah, I avoid that kind of stuff.

Which means that when I have a cold, about all I can take is Tylenol for the fever and aches, and hot, steamy showers for the congestion.

For the cough, there is an "expectorant only" version of Robistussin (now available as a pill, instead of that awful, awful liquid) but it's really pretty much useless.

So, mostly, I just suffer. And whine. A lot.

And I am not looking forward to it.

(And, I'm sure, neither is Shrike.)

9 comments:

  1. LOL, I was thinking that very thought when I read it...I am sorry, honey, I wish you weren't feeling crappy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which thought? That you're not looking forward to me being sick and whiney?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All very true. When you did it as a baby of about 18 months, you would get on your hobby horse and ride frantically, doing tricks like standing and generally looking like a speeded up film of a trick rider. Then as you came down you would squat on the floor (until we figured out that in the playpen worked better) and look as though what you most needed was a hug. That did not work because any stimulation of your senses sent you into wild and aimless running and jumping that seemed to be unpleasent to you. Any sense: touch, sound, sudden light-all set you off. Would it surprise anyone that we did not give it to you again?
    Anonymama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm sorry you don't feel well. We're all full of what we think are allergies over at our house. Well, three out of four of us are, at least. The youngest guy seems to be avoiding it all for the moment.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny, anonymama, that you say that, because she is so the opposite of that now. That really blows my mind. Very clingy when she is sick. I do not mind that, but it is funny, because when I am sick, I don't want anyone even acknowledging me. I can't stand touch or sound. My mom used to try to mommy me and she soon found out I was having none of it. I certainly don't mind that while I am well, but when I am sick I am mostly wishing I were dead and so want to be alone. So, we have learned to adjust to each other in this regard. I am sorry, Whozat, when I am not properly nurturing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, sorry. Now I realize that that was about Whozat's reaction to the medicine, not her reaction to feeling sick. I was a little punchy last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are you feeling today? Better, I hope. Also, Shrike, your last post saved me time as I was going to have to write just what you said. The behavior I described was medicine related. When sick on her own, your description was accurate all along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm feeling about the same as yesterday, which is actually better than I'd expected.

    So either, this cold is just building more slowly than usual, or maybe it will be a bit milder than usual.

    I'm hoping for the latter.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?