Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Current Plan

As I've mentioned, Dr. B will be out of town for days 15 - 17 of this cycle.

The reproductive endocrinologist won't take me on mid-cycle, and Dr. B won't ok having the sperm shipped to us at home for a do-it-yourself job.

(Which would just be a vaginal insemination, not intrauterine, so not as good odds anyway - on the other hand most of the world is conceived with vaginal inseminations! (Albeit, not with frozen sperm.) )

This morning, Dr B's office suggested that we could order the sperm, and then if I ovulate while she's gone, and we can't do it, we can ship it back still frozen, and store it til next month, and we're only out the shipping and storage fees.

We decided to do that, and I called and placed our order.

Meanwhile, I made an appointment for Tuesday 6/20 with the RE to get started there, and use them for the next cycle, assuming there is one.

Then, Dr B herself called and basically said that the smart thing to do is to just sit out this cycle since the odds of ovulation when she's in town aren't good, and we'll likely be wasting the $200 or so for shipping, which we might need later.

I know that's the logical thing to do, but it was a tough decision to make, especially on such short notice, so I wanted to talk to Shrike about it before cancelling the sperm order.

However, by the time I got hold of her, and called the bank back (only about an hour later) - they said it was already on it's way!

So, we can either have Dr B's office send it right back when they get it, or they can hold on to it, in hopes that I do ovulate on exactly the right day. Either way will cost us the same.

I figure that if we have it and I ovulate the wrong day, I'll be annoyed, but we're not out any more money than we are now.

If we have it and I ovulate the right day and we try and it doesn't work, at least we tried. (And if it does work - woo hoo!)

BUT if we sent it back, and then I ovulate when Dr B is in town and we don't have it, I'll be really mad at myself.

So, assuming that she is willing to give it a try, assuming she and the sperm and an egg can all be in town on the same day, that's what we'll do.

We're not really expecting it to even work out to try this month, and much less for it to actually work, but we'll see how it goes, and at least it will be a start.

I'm really getting tired of saying that we're "about to start trying." Our minds are totally in the "we're trying" mode, but I feel like a big liar if I say it that way, when I haven't even come within 50 feet of a sperm!

So, we have sperm on the way, and I've bought a bunch of pee sticks, and we'll keep our fingers crossed that Little Ms. Eggy decides to drop at the right time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?