Friday, March 30, 2007

Amish Country Casserole

I did some more Google cooking today. I put it together last night, actually, and just popped it in the oven today for lunch.

I don't remember exactly what I was looking for, but I think one of the search terms was cream o' something soup.

Of course, I added a few thing of my own, as noted below. I thought it was a little bland, and added lots of salt and pepper to mine.

When we had leftovers for dinner, I actually added some barbeque sauce and additional cheese to mine.

Shrike like it just fine as-is, and said it was even better as leftovers. Or maybe she'd just worked up an appetite since lunch?

MamaCat liked it just fine with the barbecue, and the pups were pissed that there wasn't any left for them. Nevermind that they'd just had a Greenie and a BusyBone - and a hike.

Amish Country Casserole
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef

1 onion, chopped
(I used more like 1/4 onion, because I didn't have much.)

1 T each of green, red and yellow bellpeppers, chopped
(This was my own addition, because I had some in the freezer.)

1 can cream of tomato soup, undiluted

1 lb egg noodles, cooked
(I used elbow macaroni, I cooked less than 1 lb, and only used about half of that.)

1 can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted

1 cup shredded cheese
(More or less.)
  1. Saute onions and bell peppers.
  2. Add beef and cook until done. Drain the fat.
  3. Add tomato soup to meat and simmer for a bit. In a bowl, add mushroom soup to noodles and mix well.
  4. In a greased 8" x 9" baking dish, layer noodle mixture, cheese, and beef mixture, repeating until all is used, then top with more cheese.
    (I started to use this size dish, then decided it wouldn't be big enough. I used a 9" x 13" and the casserole only filled it half-way to the top. I guess the smaller one would have been fine. Unless I'd used the whole pound of noodles. Hmm, you'll just have to eyeball it.
  5. Bake a 350 F for 15 - 25 minutes, until it's all done looking.

2 comments:

  1. Damn your floor is CLEAN!

    How did I know it would have cheese in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have seen it before I swept the other day! I thought the dust bunnies were going to grab the cats and dogs and hop off with them.

    And don't get me started on the muddy puppy prints.

    But they're pretty good at keeping the food off of it!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?