Wednesday, February 28, 2007

And the Oscar for Most Inane Response Goes To . . . .

There's a post on Celebrity Baby Blog about Tammy Etheridge (wife of Melissa Etheridge) mentioning, during a pre-Oscar interiew with Joan Rivers, that she's nursing the couple's four-month-old twins, Miller and Johnnie Rose.

Joan Rivers asked Tammy if she had exercised to get back into shape after giving birth to the twins. Tammy said, "No, I'm breastfeeding, I don't have to do anything else." Joan said, "Your breasts look great, so keep nursing!"
CBB went on to give Tammy "kudos" for nursing the twins, and to cite some of the benefits of nursing multiples.
. . . especially since multiples are frequently small and/or pre-term, they need the benefits of breastmilk even more. It can also save time, money, and allow you to bond with each baby individually.
As you may have noticed I'm a HUGE fan of Melissa's and already knew from Tammy's blog that she's nursing the twins.

I'm also a huge advocate of breastfeeding, so I'm glad to hear that she's out there spreading the word - especially about nursing twins.

It it just me, though, who finds it rather disturbing that Joan Rivers' response was that Tammy should keep nursing because her "breasts look great?"

As opposed to, you know, "because your kids will be healthier" or some silly reason like that?

Or is that just what's to be expected of Joan Rivers?

On the other hand, I saw the shots of Tammy in that strapless dress during the ceremony, and I certainly can't argue with Joan's assessment ;-)

When they showed her, the first thought that came to mind was, "Oh my. She is nursing twins isn't she?!"

YOWZAA!

2 comments:

  1. Ok- just found this- Joan Rivers is an IDIOT!

    Breast feeding twins is NOT easy! My sister nursed her twins for 6 LONG months! Every 2 hours! Bravo to Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding!

    I'll cut her the TINIEST bit of slack, given that Tammy's comment was in response to Joan's question about what she's done to get back "into shape," but still!

    "Keep it up, because your breasts look great?!?"

    What the hell kind of answer is that?

    (Even if they do.)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?