Thursday, August 7, 2008

Jackpot!

Yesterday, my wife drove an hour round-trip to surprise me with a glider.

Today - well, check out today:

This morning, the mom of one of my students brought me a little stuffed puppy-dog for Peeper. She confessed that it was a re-gift, but that's fine. It seems she received it when she was pregnant with her now-sevenish-month-old, but it's awful pinky-purply-lavenderish for him. So, knowing that we've got a girl on the way, she passed it on to me.

She also told me that she's working on cleaning out things, and will have some gender-neutral stuff for me, like plain white onesies and the such.

Awesome!

Then, I got an email from Dr. T, who'd been "checking in on us" here (giving her the link to the blog has probably saved us tons of time/money in "back-story" at our appointments!) and wanted to let me know that she's got an extra breast pump that I can have. A friend used it for a short while, then gave it to her, but she never used it, because she had a better one.

Woo hoo!

√ Glider
√ Breastpump

Now, if we only had a dresser . . . .

But wait - there's more!

The same mom called me this afternoon and asked, "What size dresser are you looking for?"

(A while back, we were talking yard sale / Craig's List / Freecycle and I mentioned that we were in the market for a dresser.)

I told her we didn't have a specific size in mind, and "Well, she's got a lot of clothes, but the room's not very big."

You see, it seems that her dad is moving, and has a five-drawer, about 48" tall dresser that he wants to get rid of.

"It's painted white, but you could strip it and repaint if you wanted."

You gotta be kidding me!

I asked how much he wants for it, but no, he's not interested in selling - he just wants to give it to us.

How freakin' cool is that?!?

7 comments:

  1. It did occur to me that I should check with ED1 and just make sure that she doesn't have any kind of ethical problem with me accepting a gift of that size from a parent.

    If she's not comfortable with it, I'll just insist on paying him for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very freakin' cool. I prayed today that you would get your dresser. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did it sound something like this:

    Please, God, let her find a dresser, so she'll stop talking about it on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers were answered as well. "Do you know what you're looking for? All you need is a box with some f-ing drawers. What are you looking for? Do you know?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shrike's leaving out the backstory to her little song there.

    Last night I said something about how sick I was of looking for a dresser, and that "I'm about to just say 'fuck it' - I'll paint over it if it's fucking mahogany!"

    So she burst into song . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait! There's more (all sung from Shrike's perspective, of course):

    -------------

    Do you know what I'm going through?
    When you reject every dresser that I'm showing you.
    Look what I'm going through.
    Do you know?

    Do you know what you're looking for?
    All you need's a box with some fucking drawers.
    What the hell are you looking for?
    Do you know?

    -------------

    Oh, and ED1 is fine with me taking the dresser.

    I've emailed the mom w/the dimensions of my car's cargo space, so her dad can figure out whether it will fit in there, or if I need to drive the truck on the day he's bringing it to me.

    Woo hoo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanna see a pic of the little stuffed puppy-dog!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?