Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

At work this evening, one of our younger students was doing a math lesson on calendars.

A couple of weeks ago, unrelated to the calendar skills, I had told him when my birthday is, and how old I am.

(It involved another kid's MLK Day homework, and the fact that I was born about a month after MLK was assassinated.)

So, tonight, after I'd asked him "What's the most important day in May?" (my birthday, of course!) we had the following exchange, at full volume, for the entire center to hear:

Mr. Teacher: What day is your birthday, Ms. Whozat?

Ms. Whozat: The 11th.

Mr. Teacher: Ok, Kid, let's see what day of the week Ms. Whozat's birthday is.

Kid: Saturday! (It wasn't a current calendar that he was looking at.)

Ms. Whozat: Right, but this year, it's actually on a Sunday. It's on Mother's Day.

Kid: You're not a mother.

Ms. Whozat: Well, no, I'm not.

Mr. Teacher: Not yet. (He is privy to our plans. Probably more than he'd like to be.)

Ms. Whozat: Yeah, not yet.

Kid: You can't be a mother.

Ms. Whozat: Why?

Kid: You can't be pregnant.

Ms. Whozat: Why?

(I'm really starting to wonder, at this point, what assumptions he's made about me!)

Kid: It's tooooo laaaaate noooow! You're thirty-nine!

Great, so now eight year olds are dissing my fertility!

5 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhhh man! No tokens for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hurts! I will always put together in my mind the MLK assassination and my baby shower for you. I learned of it from a guest coming in a little late. Odd how things connect in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Anonymama, it's been nearly 40 (ouch) years, and I had never heard that story before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I told Dr E this story this morning, and she said, "Well, you can tell him, 'There's such a thing as donor eggs, and there's Our Fertility Clinic, and there's Dr E, and she's going to get you pregant! And then you can tell that little crapper, 'I told you so!'"

    ReplyDelete

What say you?