Friday, July 27, 2007

An Interesting (Work) Development

Remember how, when I interviewed for my job, I was actually applying for a Director of Education (DE) position at a different center, about 45 minutes from home? But then they decided they needed me more at the one a hour from home? But I was told that if a position closer to home became available, I'd be considered for it?

Well, I had a very interesting conversation with the two EDs this afternoon.

It seems that the director at the the 45MinutesAway center is leaving, effective next Friday.

They've actually offered that position to the woman who is current DE at the center in TownWhereShrikeWorks, which is about 30 minutes from home. (She's, obviously, been with the company longer than I have.)

If she takes it, that will leave her current position open, and they've offered it to me. It would be, basically, exactly what I'm doing now, but 30 minutes closer to home.

If she turns down the directorship in 45MinutesAway, I've been offered that position, instead.

It would be basically what I'm doing now, plus what Director is doing (there's only one director there), but with the help, two days a week, of the TownWhereShrikeWorks director, who also helps to oversee that center.

It would be, obviously, 15 minutes closer to home, and would be $1000/year raise.

That raise would almost exactly offset the cost of my dental and AFLAC insurance, which will go into effect on Wednesday. I think my bring-home would be literally like a nickel less than what it is now.

The idea of stepping into a director position already, especially as the only director at the center, is pretty daunting, but the EDs told me today that, given what I've already learned in 90 days and what I'm doing now, I'm "most of the way there."

The only other downside would be that I really like the folks that I'm working with now (coworkers, students, parents), and I'm just getting good and comfortable with them. I do like the director over there, though, and I'm sure I'd get used to the other people, too.

Of course, the EDs are both aware of my scheduling issues regarding doctors appointments, and have taken that into consideration. They even kind of apologized for the fact that this would take me away from convenient 2-blocks-from-the-RE location, but understand that (regardless of which way things go with the beta next Friday) I'll have several more appointments there, and can be a flexible with my schedule to accommodate that.

During the conversation, both EDs said that I'm doing a great job, I've learned a ton already, I'd be great in either of these positions, and they know I want to get closer to home but that, personally, they hate the idea of me moving to either of those centers, because they like having me around at the one where they work two or three days a week. That was nice to hear.

Because the current director is leaving next Friday, and they need the new person in place on Monday August 6, they need answers from both me and the other woman on Monday!

I guess the DE position, if that's what's available, is really a no-brainer (same work, half the commute!) and I think that, although it's a lot scarier, it would also probably be smart to take the director position, if she doesn't.

I'm kind of glad that it's up to her, and not me, which position I would take, because that would be a tough call. Whichever I'm actually being offered, though, I think I'll probably take it.

1 comment:

  1. Whoo hoo hoo hoo hoo! That sounds great. Keep us posted. (Duh!)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?