Monday, May 21, 2007

All Systems Go!

My appointment went well, and we've got the go-ahead to inseminate with my next ovulation, which should be in about three weeks.

For those wondering, here are the answers to the questions listed in my previous post:

  1. Just a Pap smear today. I'll have results in 2 - 4 weeks, but we're not waiting on that to try.
  2. No other tests; we're good to go.
  3. We are definitely trying in June! After I start my period, I can order the sperm, to arrive around day 12 (1 - 2 days before we'll need it).
  4. Start peeing on sticks around day 12. I will probably start more like day 10, because I did it this past month, starting on day 12 and think I missed it. Any brand is ok, just "don't go to the Dollar Store."
  5. When I "surge" (get a positive result on the ovulation predictor pee stick) call Dr. B. to schedule the insemination. Probably the next morning, or possibly that evening.
  6. Yes, I can drink on June 8.
  7. I didn't specifically ask this question, but more on that below.
She suggested that we consider going through a reproductive endocrinologist and using Clomid, because they have the means to closely monitor (blood, ultrasound) my hormone levels and follicle (egg) development, then to give me a shot to trigger ovulation at a particular time. The advantage would be that we could be more precise with the timing. Given that we only get one chance a month, this could increase a chances.

For June, we're going to go with a "natural" cycle (as "natural" as one can consider artificial insemination to be!) and if that doesn't work, we'll consider doing a Clomid cylce in July, and go from there.

If we don't do that in July, we may not be able to try at all that month. Left to my own devices, I'll probably ovulate while we're in Texas for my parents' 50th anniversary. Also, Dr. B. will be away much of that month and she's the only one in her practice that does inseminations.

So, we might go for the extra help that month, if no other reason, to schedule it for when we're home and to have a different doctor (who will be in town) do it.

I'll have to look into whether there's an RE close to work. We're located in a big business park with tons of doctors' offices, just about any specialty you could possibly want. (In fact, there's an OB right next door!)

It might be a bitch for Shrike to drive down there for inseminations, but if I'm going to have daily blood / ultrasounds, it seems best to be walking distance from work.

Speaking of, I think I'm going to try to talk to ED2 about my plans, either this week or next. I will have to tell both her and Director, since I might be missing work.

(Of course, telling them will insure that I ovulate on the weekend and don't have to miss work, afterall. Not telling them will insure that it's a Friday or Monday, when I work 8:30 am - 5:00 pm!)

Starting Wednesday, Director is out for a week, having knee surgery, so I think I'll try to tell her during that time, so that I can wait a bit before talking to him, and it won't turn into a big two-on-one thing. Maybe Friday, right before 5 pm, so when I'm done, I can just run away?

Did I mention that ED2 is at least 47 years old and has five-year-old twins? I'm hoping that means that she's sympathetic to a> the urgency, given my age and 2> the hoops through which I might have to jump (in addition to the whole no-sperm-in-this-relationship thing!)

I just can't believe that everything is falling into place (so far) and that we will be inseminating in less than three weeks.

Woo Hoo!

Also. Oh shit!

1 comment:

What say you?